Monday, July 8, 2013

The art of losing isn't hard to master- Part Two: because the winner stands alone...

My first post pertaining to the topic at present has attempted to deal with the inter-personal relationship-oriented dimension to it, whereas this one will be solely concentrating on the 'art of losing' from a competitive, 'being the best of the best' view, since that is mostly the idea people generally associate with the act of losing something significant as a whole.

Be it losing marks in an exam, or losing out to the natural genius in class; or even in a competition, which the said individual came close to winning, but seemingly screwed up; it is quite apparent that losing in such seemingly petty things are often viewed as distressing, and at times, debilitating by the affected individual, who decidedly rants his/her heart out to the people willing to listen, and complains (usually, as I would like to point out) that the world operates on a flawed capitalist structure that tends to deny chances to the ones who really deserve to be on top.

Well, 'scuse me, my good sir, but had you won; as you so vehemently claim that you should have, you would probably speak in a positive manner about the capitalist world that you so passionately show your resentment for!

Now, let me make it clear to you, dear reader, that I too am a sore loser, and to be honest, it's not really a bad thing. Well, if you can make being a loser work for you, then it can be a really great thing. If not, and if you let being a loser crush whatever soul and spirit you might've possessed earlier; I'd suggest that you search for coping strategies, so as to prevent any sort of negativity from paving its way into your envy-riddled mind.

My favorite coping strategy is to look at my losses as my victories too. Sure, it involves a denial of reality, but it does wonders for my self-esteem, which is always on the high and fuels my ego in a positive way; this of course referring to my irremovable impulse to gain knowledge and read and write and try absorbing everything to make my own reality and disprove the existing one.

Yes, I know. It makes me sound like a deluded psychopath, but I assure you that I am as normal as that fictional murderer Dexter from the famous TV series bearing the same name, most conveniently. I mean, come on! Other than the point that he kills people due to having twisted morals, and as a means of relieving his so-called 'dark passenger', he does have a job and a family, which he cares for like most ordinary people do.

Coming back to the topic, the art of losing; well see here, dear reader, the reality is that most people hate winners. People who constantly lead successful lives become a subject of envy for those surrounding them, and there is a reason as to why celebrities and other famous people lead sad exposed lives, which are often unveiled to show seemingly insignificant scandals and turn them as losers in the eyes of the society in turn.

To be a winner, you need to understand that you can't trust people even close to you, because nobody likes seeing a happy person; especially if their own lives are a subject of outrageous misfortune and misery.

Paulo Coehlo's 'The winner stands alone' does an excellent job in representing the misfortune of being a winner, and indeed proves that their paparazzi-riddled lives can be quite weary and violent at times.

So, when a normal individual, who dreams big sees winners falling down like flies, he/she perhaps feels convinced that being a winner in the 21st century is definitely not worth it.

Well, let me correct myself on that point. You see, I don't believe that winners stand alone, oh no. Only winners who feel miserable about having their lives like an open-book, and who hate losing feel that way. But, those who don't give a damn about what society thinks and do what fits them the best; they are the true winners and they will always be surrounded by people who will continue believing in them regardless of whether they continue their walk in fame and fortune, or not.

Keep trying, never give up on your dreams, my friends. You have no idea how many competitions, how many opportunities I've lost during the continuous progression of my existence. But, the only way to master the art of losing is to keep trying, no matter what. Don't let society stop you, tell you that you can't do something. More importantly, don't let your own mind convince you of your failure as being final and fatal, because Life always gives second chances to those who really plead for it.

I shall shed light on several of my experiences, and perhaps that might convince you that losing isn't really something to be concerned about. Unless you are really old and about to die that is. I am just kidding! I've read of 80 year old people completing their Ph.D and all sorts of seemingly impossible achievements due to sheer will and determination. So yes, never give up on your dreams! Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment