Saturday, July 13, 2013

Do what you love and love what you do: the secret to staying happy with your life

I've always wondered as to whether I have a talent or not, but after going through several psychological dilemmas and late-night obsessions with things I seem to have a good grasp with; several moments of realization have revealed to me that it really doesn't matter if you aren't brilliant at what you do, because if the practice of that particular art makes you happy; then that is what really matters.

The best example here is my continuous obsession with writing, and though it often feels like some sickness that cannot be removed, and that can be perhaps blamed for sowing the seeds of destruction in various relationships I've had over the years; it's evident that the reason as to why it seems inseparable from my very existence is because it gives some sort of meaning or meanings, which make me value my life all the more for it.

And, yes, it's not because I am a good writer, oh no. I've been downplayed by several critics, both inside as well as outside my social circle; that there are times when I become extremely verbose and my writings become nothing short of word salads that tend to turn quite incomprehensible for my said readers. Also, it's not unusual for me to stretch stories that are exceedingly abstract in nature, and whose plots are barely visible due to absurd and haphazard stream of thoughts presented in them.

But, it doesn't matter. At least, not to me. To me, words are all that I have, and without them, I feel utterly useless (not to mention completely bored out of my mind!). They intoxicate me, pleasure my senses and unfold to me worlds that would simply beg me to consider the unreal as the real. Even when I am upset and out of my mind; by writing about my experiences in a fictitious or real way, I manage to ensure my stability and move on as if nothing bad had ever happened to me.

If there is one thing I regret, however, is that after I've written my experiences down, I really can't let go of them, even if they distress me, because they get represented through writing in such an elegant and eloquent manner that I can't help, but browse through them over and over, and cause pain to my soul at realizing the gravity of the mistakes I've committed over the years.

This of course, brings us back to the 'forgive and forget' dilemma, but lets not get into that right now, since it would deviate us from the topic at hand.

So, yes, doing what makes you happy and satisfied with your life is really the way to go here. I had a friend who happens to be an excellent crocheter, and the reason for her excellence is that she is passionate about the art to quite an extent. Every day, she manages to come up with some new, out of the world idea and it does wonders for the creative side to her work, which reveals itself beautifully in the products she endeavors to turn into absolute perfection.

Her passion is so intense, so fiery that it used to sometimes scare me, because it made her work seem all the more life-like in turn.

It simply reaches out to her consumers, who can't help, but shower her with praises over and over again.

Yes, she 'was' my friend and it's too early for me to explain just exactly how I lost her due to the idiotic functioning of my complex mind, so we'll leave that issue for later posts(much much later, mind you).

Anyways, here is her page if you are interested to witness an amazing amalgamation of passion and talent. Also, if you are a lover of crotchet; all the more reason to satisfy your love for the brilliant art that has captured the hearts of so many in the making. Yes, the history of crotchet and my own literary experiences of it is also a subject I'd like to shed light in some later post (maybe, just maybe after this one).

https://www.facebook.com/mochaandco?fref=ts

This is a sample of the illustrious and beautiful work she's been doing:


Well, alright. I must admit that 'writing' isn't the only thing I've adopted as a personal favorite pass-time of mine. My secondary hobbies are public speaking (which also has a nice background story to it) and music composition (the background story involved here is of a much pleasant sort, so it could be a light and fun thing to go through!)

Again, I have to re-emphasize that I don't think I've honed my skills to a professional level for further pursuit of them, but I must admit that they too have the ability to sooth my nerves when they are in immediate need of soothing. Sometimes when I feel that writing is getting me no where, I pick up my guitar in hopes to find some sort of inspiration and lead me to the making of some soulful song, which would reignite the incognito creative monster from within.

As for public speaking, well, I don't do pursue it that often, but whenever I do, it turns out to be quite an invigorating experience too. I had a friend (again, with the 'had', you must be thinking. Makes you wonder how many relationships I've exactly screwed up, huh?) who happens to be a brilliant public speaker, and is in fact invited to chair Model United Nations held in Pakistan from time to time.

Well, the reason as to why I felt it significant to bring him up is because he was the one who bred in me the love for the art. We used to debate a lot together, and even though we hadn't won any competition as a team; the story ends up as quite a lovely series of experiences and shall be remembered by me for perhaps the rest of my life.

It's not often that I've shined out as an excellent public speaker. I've had my moments, yes, but not many to paint me into some amazing speaker, who is perhaps destined to go forth into the field itself. But, again I shall emphasize that it really doesn't matter to me, because the important thing to keep in mind here is that it makes me happy upon its pursuit.

To conclude, dear reader, to be both successful as well as happy in life, one must do what satisfies his/her spirit and soul. And, he/she should not pursue something just because it promises significant monetary gains, but because it makes him/her happy and stable in his/her daily life.


Love. Passion. Life. Powerful words they are...very powerful indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment